sexta-feira, 19 de junho de 2009

Friends for life


I was with very good friends minutes ago. I've just gotten back from "The Chimes" one of the best bars in Baton Rouge, which is quite close to the School of Music (could it be any better?). There was Raul, from Costa Rica; Jessica from New Orleans (this is more than simply being from United States); Marcelo and Amanda, from Brazil; Paris from Greece; and me, also from Brazil.

I was very happy because Raul called me asking me to come to be with them. They were coming from a Jazz concert in which Marcelo played. As usual I ended up talking to Jessica about deep and interesting things in life. She is amazing! Very very inteligent, smart, and very sensitive. She just graduated from Law school here at Louisiana State University and now she has to take the unforgiving BAR exams! The bar exams are similar to the exam from the Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil. Without passing in this exam she cannot be a lawyer. She looks very apprehensive about it, but in the same time she was saying that she is not studying as much as she would like to, she also said that this is just natural on her behavior. She does not consider herself as a "good student." That sounded like joke for me, because she graduate from law school with omnia cum lauda, which means she is freacking great student, although she does not spend hours and hours studying.

I think I do my studies in a quite similar way and we spent some time tonight talking about these similarities. I will have pretty soon my General Exams, which are the most important exams in a Ph. D. degree. We don't have anything similar in Brazil. I refuse to spend much time studying for this exam, because I think I already know what I know, and I am not going to learn much in two months of concentrated studies. It would be just useless I think. But I still feel guilty, but it is just me. I am like that.

I've ended up talking to her about the post-modernity and the concept of deconstruction. To make a long story short, I've told her that if every single thing can be deconstructed it means that everything was once constructed, in other words: everything is sort of an ilusion, and we cannot let ilusions take control of our beings. Dont take life too seriously. I am trying not to.

Jessica I love you! You are a great friend and I wish you the best results on your BAR exams!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário